Arcade at Villa Giulia

SOLD.
Available to order.
Photograph by Dale Goffigon
Archival pigment print framed in white washed wood with museum plexi.

Built by Pope Julius III in 1551-1553 as a country retreat, Villa Giulia is located in the 'Vigna Vecchia' area of Rome, and is now home to the Museo Nazionale Etrusco. The frescoes of the semi-circular portico were painted by Pietro Venale. The beautiful illusionistic pergola with rare birds and putti and grotesques on the wall, serve as a continuation of the surrounding vineyards and countryside. They combine the representation of ancient classical art with a Renaissance vision of art, in which nature is the center of attention.

H: 43" W: 45"

C9411 $4800.00